This breath exercise focuses on a short, sharp exhale through the nose. It’s useful whenever we feel a little bit sluggish and want to find more energy and focus. Also a handy practice whenever you catch yourself in a negative thinking spiral and want to hit the reset button.
1. Sit comfortably with an upright spine either on the floor or in a chair, with both feet resting flat on the floor.
2. Start by taking a few normal, relaxed breaths.
3. Take a breath in then quickly exhale in short, sharp bursts through the nose as you simultaneously draw your belly button in towards your spine to expel the air.
4. The focus is on this exhale and so try not to think too much about the exhale, which will happen naturally.
5. After 10 – 15 exhales, take a couple of normal breaths and go through the cycle again.
6. Aim to repeat the cycle 3 – 5 times and then sit in stillness as your natural breath returns and notice any sensations in the body.